What is high intensity interval training and what’s so great about it? Will it hurt or hurt so good? We answer these pressing questions and more.
WHAT IS IT?
High intensity interval training, henceforth referred to as HIIT, is a challenging workout in which you give all-out effort through quick intense bursts of cardio and strength-training exercises, followed by short active recovery periods. Studies show that just 15 minutes of HIIT burns more calories than jogging on a treadmill for an hour.
WHY WE LOVE IT
- The workout is super convenient, since it can be done anywhere: at home, in a hotel room, in a park, in your office. Take it from New Balance fitness ambassador Sarah Kusch, “HIIT workouts are quick and effective, and you can do them anywhere. I love them because they’re fun, and there are so many moves you can split up the intervals with.”
- HIIT doesn’t require much equipment and most often uses only your body weight.
- Several studies have shown HIIT's impressive ability to increase your metabolic rate for hours after exercise, meaning your body will continue to burn calories long after you’ve recovered.
- Research has also demonstrated that HIIT workouts burn fat more efficiently, including a reduction in visceral fat (the disease-promoting fat surrounding organs).
5 MOVES YOU CAN DO ANYWHERE
Sarah shares a quick and sweaty HIIT circuit. Follow a short warm up with these five moves; repeat four times for a 20-minute workout. (A quick Internet search will provide you with visuals for these moves.)
1. High knees for 40 seconds; rest for 20 seconds
2. Squat jumps for 40 seconds; rest for 20 seconds
3. Mountain climbers for 40 seconds; rest for 20 seconds
4. Speed skaters for 40 seconds; rest for 20 seconds
5. Pushup to plank renegade row for 40 seconds; rest for 20 seconds
WHAT'S IN OUR HIIT GYM BAG?
NEW BALANCE TRAINERS
Fresh Foam Crush Shoes in Black, $100, newbalance.com.
BKR WATER BOTTLE
BKR Spiked Glass Water Bottle in Light Chocolate Milk Nude, $55, well.ca.
The (Small) Towel in Tonic Sea, $18, lululemon.com.
Pinch Provisions Fitness Kit, $22 US, pinchprovisions.com.