It's easy to make bird food -- just keep a coffee can beside the stove, and whenever you cook bacon, pour the drippings into it along with a handful of mixed birdseed. Put it in the fridge to solidify it before you pack it into the holes in the feeder.
Small cedar, fir or hardwood tree branch, 4-in diameter, approx 12 in long
Electric drill with 1-in and 1/4-in bits
Dowelling, 1/4-in diameter, approx 36 in long
1/4-in eyelet screw, approx 3 in long
Thick plastic-covered wire, about 10 in long
1. Drill 12 to 20 1-in holes, 1 in deep, spaced at random around the branch, and a 1/4-in hole, 1/4-in deep, 1 in beneath each larger hole.
2. Cut dowel into 2-1/2-in long pieces and glue into smaller holes.
3. Insert screw into top of branch for hanging.
4. Pack bird food into larger holes.
5. Hang feeder on sturdy branch with wire.