Image Courtesy of Crate and Barrel/E.
Check out this fun, budget-friendly project that will help update your space with minimal disruption to your home.
Useful for drawing, jotting memos or words of inspiration, chalkboard paint breaks the “no writing on the walls” rule, to the delight of children and some adults, too! This type of paint can be found in most hardware stores—commonly in black, but also available in colour shades. Great spots for a coat of chalkboard paint include walls in the kitchen, mudroom, entry hall, office or kid’s bedroom.
Design: Lisa Lev. Photography, Alex Lukey/C.
- TSP cleaner
- Painter’s tape
- Sander or sandpaper
- Chalkboard paint primer
- Chalkboard paint
- Brush or roller
- Clean the wall with TSP cleaner according to directions on the package.
- Outline the area to be painted with painter’s tape.
- Sand the wall to be painted.
- Apply the appropriate primer; let dry for the required time.
- Stir the paint well, then apply with a brush or roller, using two to three coats six hours apart (or according to the manufacturer’s instructions).
Pro Tip: You can also purchase chalkboard spray paint for easy application on small surfaces like furniture or accessories. It’s not designed for painting a wall.
Our Product Picks
Valspar Tintable Latex CHALKBOARD PAINT, lowes.ca.
Krylon Special Purpose CHALKBOARD PAINT in Black, amazon.ca.
Rust-Oleum Specialty CHALKBOARD PAINT in Black, rona.ca.