Check out this fun, budget-friendly project that will help update your space with minimal disruption to your home.
Placing a shelf above a sofa or desk creates an easy spot to display decorative objects and paintings without hanging them on the wall. This makes it super easy to switch out your decor whenever you want! Try painting your shelf the same colour as the wall, or go bold for a contrast.
- Sander or sandpaper
- Wooden board to the desired measurements
- Brush or roller
- Paint primer and wall colour or wood stain
- 2 shelf brackets
- Sand the wooden board, then brush or roll on a coat of primer. Let dry.
- With brush or roller, apply one or two coats of paint (let dry between coats).
- Using a level and pencil, mark where you want the shelf on the wall and the holes corresponding to the brackets.
- Screw the brackets into the wall and place the shelf.
Our Product Picks
There are many prepackaged floating shelves available. Try one of these easy-to-install options.
Gracie Oaks Finkle 3 Tier FLOATING SHELF in Mahogany, $93, wayfair.ca.
Canvas Driftwood 24" FLOATING SHELF, $35, canadiantire.ca.
Tranhult 47" FLOATING SHELF, $35, ikea.ca.