Image: Ryan Brook/TC Media
Add a bit of whimsy to your breakfast table with these egg cosies. Your family will never guess they started out as tiny socks!
Materials (for each):
- Felt scraps
- Infant sock (size 6 to 12 months) Thread or embroidery floss (to match sock)
- 6 cotton balls or fibrefill
- 2 googly eyes
- Sharp scissors or fabric shears
- White glue or tacky glue
1. With pencil, sketch ears and facial features on felt. Using scissors, cut out. Assemble facial features as necessary (see photo).
2. With pencil, lightly mark about 5 mm (1⁄4-inch) line along toe of sock for placement of each ear (or comb, if making a chick). With sharp scissors, snip along lines.
3. One at a time, insert ears (or comb) about 3 mm (1/8 inch) into incisions. Turn sock inside out. With needle and thread, sew felt to sock.
4. Turn sock right side out. Stuff toe of sock with cotton balls to make head about 6 cm (2 1⁄2 inches) long.
5. Cut about 15 cm (6-inch) length of thread. Wrap thread around sock at base of head four times, gathering to form neck; tie with double knot. Trim ends.
6. With glue, attach felt facial features and googly eyes. Let dry completely.