Stand out from the crowd this Canada Day by creating one of these unique Canadian flags.
You will need:
- White poster board
- Maps of Canada (any road map purchased at the hardware store or printed from online will work)
- Double-sided tape
- Wooden dowels
- Maple leaf tracer, approximately 2 inches wide
* Tip: To find a maple leaf to trace, search "maple leaf clip art" online, print one and cut it out.
1. Cut the white poster board 12 inches by 4 inches. Fold it in half lengthwise. This will be the background for the double-sided flag.
2. For each flag, cut two strips of the map 1 1/2 inches by 4 inches, and one strip 3 1/4 inches by 4 inches.
3. Trace the maple leaf on the map and cut it out.
4. Arrange the cut-out map pieces onto the white poster board and glue in place. The larger rectangle goes across the middle of the piece of paper where you folded it, wrapping around both sides. Flip the cardstock upside down and place double-sided tape around the perimeter and along either side of the middle fold to hold the dowel in place.
5. Place the dowel in the centre crease and fold the map, smoothing it as you go.
For more crafts, check out these eight fun Canada Day crafts.