Image: Michaal Alberstat
This costume is almost as easy as forgetting to add the fabric softener.
Despite our best intentions – and the constant reminders from little ones who are looking forward to a big candy haul – sometimes Halloween can sneak up and surprise us. But don't let a looming deadline scare you: These fast, affordable and easy costumes are a real treat! Start with a T-shirt to fit your child (or yourself), add a few craft store standards, accessorize as much or as little as you like, and you're good to go.
Take a look at a larger image of the finished static cling costume.
• Blue T-shirt
• Small items of clothing, such as socks, gloves and knee-high stockings
• Used dryer sheets (optional)
• Safety pins or needle and thread
1. Lay T-shirt on work surface.
2. Arrange small items of clothing randomly on top of T-shirt.
3. Working carefully, use safety pins (or needle and thread) to attach items to T-shirt, placing pins underneath items so they are not visible.
If desired, complete the ensemble by pinning small items of clothing to pants in a similar fashion. Or consider wearing ugly pants and mismatched socks, with staticky-looking spiky hair.
This story was originally titled "Quick & Easy Costumes" in the October 2010 issue. Subscribe to Canadian Living today and never miss an issue!