If you’re the kind of person who loves to make things and gets a lot of satisfaction from creating charming, practical items, then candle making may just be the hot business idea that will turn you into a successful entrepreneur, without even having to leave your home!
Research shows that the candle market is projected to reach more than $6.5 billion (CDN) by 2026. That’s a lot of candles that people are buying–and you could be basking in the afterglow of success.
Why candle making?
• It’s easy to start up your own business. You don’t need a huge investment, and start-up costs are low. All you need are candle-making supplies and materials: wax, wicks, containers, fragrances, colouring agents, and shipping and packaging supplies. It’s easy to move them–you can sell candles at craft markets, in stores, or even online. And there are so many kinds of candles that customizing them is simple.
• Everyone enjoys candles. We all love burning candles because offer a little luxury at an affordable price. They provide instant aromatherapy, set up a relaxing stress-reducing atmosphere, and make it cozy at home, especially during the holidays.
• It’s a growing industry. We’re used to inhaling the scents and watching the flames flicker at restaurants, spas and yoga studios. But more recently, candles are popping up in office environments and other unexpected locations for calming, soothing effects.
• It’s not 9-to-5. Make your own hours: whether you want to make some extra cash or whether you want it to be your main source of income, candle making fits the bill. You can put in as much time as you want.
Where to start
Pump up your brand
• Experiment with different waxes, including beeswax, coconut, paraffin and soy. No specific type of wax or wax blend is considered “best” for candle making. All high-quality candle waxes have been shown to burn cleanly and safely.
• Use a variety of containers and packaging to make candles in jars and other colourful containers or tins, tealights, or flameless, smokeless clamshell wax melts to be used in a candle warmer.
• Personalize your candles with your own labels, stickers, and liquid colours and dye chips in hues like luscious teal and mahogany, for instance.
• Discover different fragrances, like those reminiscent of your favourite baked goods or popular cologne scents, as well as all-natural essential oils, like anise seed and bergamot. Create product lines for different seasons, featuring fruits and florals for summertime, or pumpkin-scented ones for a fall favourite. For the holidays, think gingerbread, evergreen, and candy-cane scents.
Whether you are making candles, bath or other body products, we have all the scents you need. Get 10% off your first purchase with code CANADIANLIVING10.