Photography: Ryan Brook
Create a dark and moody fall planter in just three easy steps.
1. Plant ornamental kale high, just back of centre, in the planter container. This prime real estate draws attention to its architectural stems and the frilly texture of its leaves.
2. Surround the kale with glossy leaves and colourful blossoms. Here, willowleaf hebe 'Marjorie' delivers both in spades. In front, turn up the heat with spectacular leafy perennials, like this rusty-hued Heuchera and a blooming sedum that bees and butterflies will love, too!
3. Capture the eye with dark ornamental cabbages tucked in front.
Jennifer's top five tips for fall planters
1. Devise a colour scheme.
2. Plan for different heights.
3. Select a variety of interesting foliage.
4. Include plants that have rounded heads or circular flowers.
5. Add perennials that can be incorporated into the garden come spring.