©iStockphoto.com/pressureUA Image by: ©iStockphoto.com/pressureUA
1. Be Yourself
Twitter lets you to create a profile that showcases your personality, passions and interests in life. The username, photo and background that you select when you log on for the first time should be a reflection of your real-life personality. All you need to get started is:
- an email address
- a password
- a profile pic that reflects your personality
- a handle (the username that will act as your Twitter voice and express your identity)
- an appetite to explore!
2. Be Curious
Now that you have a Twitter profile, you can discover what people around the world are saying on Twitter. Finding and following other interesting accounts will connect you with businesses, brands and celebrities you like, news sources and people you know. Hint: Follow us @canadianliving!
The Discover tab will help you find friends, will make suggestions on who to follow and will direct you to Twitter’s most popular accounts
3. Be Clever
The next step is to step out from behind your screen to connect with the Twitter-verse. Take cues from other people's tweets to find your own voice and show others what you care about. This will build your presence and help others find and follow you. Three quick tips:
- Re-Tweet messages that you find and like.
- Reply with your own opinion.
- Mention other people on Twitter so your network knows you're out there.
4. Be Creative
You've got the basics; now it's time to have fun. Share your personality on Twitter by sharing photos, links and videos. Download Twitter on your mobile device to connect on-the-go. Other great tools:
- Lists (curated groups of Twitter users)
- Direct Messages (private messages sent to people who follow you)
Confused by a term you see on Twitter? Visit the Twitter Glossary to learn all the lingo.