From Oscar BINGO to the ultimate movie menu, these five steps will help you make the most of the 2018 Academy Awards on March 4, 2018.
1. Know the movies.
Can't catch all nine Best Picture nominees? These are the top five to see:
The Shape of Water: With 13 nominations, expect to hear this fantastic, fishy love story's name called a lot. Catch it now in theatres.
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri: Frances McDormand and Sam Rockwell are both favourites to win for Best Actress and Best Supporting Actor, respectively. Watch it in theatres now.
Dunkirk: Turn your TV up—the biggest blockbuster of the Best Picture nominees is expected to win for its booming World War II sound design. It's currently streaming and on DVD and OnDemand.
Lady Bird: The coming-of-age comedy could pull an upset in several of its five nominated categories, including Best Picture. It's in theatres now.
Get Out: Watch for thrice-nominated writer-director-producer Jordan Peele to be rewarded in the best Original Screenplay category. Stream it now or watch it on DVD or OnDemand.
2. Nail the viewing-party menu.
May we so humbly suggest giving an Oscar twist to these Canadian Living classics?
The Darkest Hors d'Oeuvres: To convert this blackened char entrée into party-sized snippits, slice the fish into bite-sized bits for hors d'oeuvres so delicious Gary Oldman's makeup artist would tell him, "oh, sure, nowww you want to gain the weight."
GET THE RECIPE: Blackened Arctic Char With Asparagus Orzo
La Vida Coco: The Mexican flavour of this pasta salad will have your guests singing your praises like the mariachis of Coco.
GET THE RECIPE: Festive "Taco" Pasta Salad
Tasty Green Mussels: These mussels are even hotter than the ones on the sea-creature star of The Shape Of Water.
GET THE RECIPE: Green Curry Mussels
Tonya Harding's Caps: Your guests will attack these caps like they belong to Nancy Kerrigan.
GET THE RECIPE: Cedar Plank Stuffed Mushrooms With Hazelnuts
Mudbound-Pie Cookies: Working farmland in Mississippi V. working a plate of these melted marshmallow cookies? We choose the latter.
GET THE RECIPE: Mud Pie Cookies
3. Soak up the soundtracks.
Put the red-carpet coverage on mute and set an Academy ambiance with this hour-long playlist inspired by the nominated films.
1. "This Is Me"; Keala Settle and The Greatest Showman Ensemble; The Greatest Showman
2. "Remember Me (Dúo)"; Miguel feat. Natalia Lafourcade; Coco
3. "Billboards on Fire"; Carter Burwell; Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
4. "Stand Up For Something"; Andra Day feat. Common; Marshall
5. "I Want You Back"; Jackson 5; Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
6. "Bellbottoms"; The Jon Spencer Blues Explosion; Baby Driver
7. "Supermarine"; Hans Zimmer; Dunkirk
8. "As We Go Along"; The Monkees; Lady Bird
9. "Cheek to Cheek"; Fred Astaire; The Boss Baby
10. "Can't Help Falling In Love"; Elvis Presley & The Jordanaires; Blade Runner 2049
11. "Mystery of Love"; Sufjan Stevens; Call Me By Your Name
12. "Mighty River"; Mary J. Blige; Mudbound
13. "House of Woodcock"; Jonny Greenwood; Phantom Thread
14. "La Javanaise"; Madeline Peyroux; The Shape of Water
4. Decorate for the stars.
You don't need a routine like "Be Our Guest" to pull off a showstopping Oscar-party. Elevate your popcorn presentation by serving it in champagne flutes, feature white roses as your centrepiece in a show of solidarity with #TimesUp, soup up some cheapie electric votives by circling them in old film strips, and when in doubt, just add gold.
Image: handmade mood
5. Play a game.
These custom Canadian Living BINGO cards will have you screaming OSCAR. Just print them out and for each thing you spot, you get a check. When you have five in a row, yell OSCAR.
Download all three cards here.