Once again, Christmas is nearly upon us. In just a matter of hours, kids will be tearing into their presents and playing with their coveted new toys—some harmless, others not. Ensuring your child is safe throughout the Christmas season means following toy safety protocol and keeping your home free of any holiday hazards.
- Purchase age-appropriate toys, and avoid products containing small parts that pose a hazard for young children.
- Read labels and packaging carefully, making sure you follow age recommendations and heed safety warnings and advisories.
- Follow assembly instructions carefully to avoid loose parts that can pose a risk.
- Pay attention to manufacturer information printed on labels. Toys that don't come with a contact phone number might be questionable.
- Inspect toys for sharp edges or broken pieces, discarding any damaged toys.
- Remove all discarded packaging from the home once the toy is opened. This includes plastic wrap, foam, twist ties, staples and other materials that might be hazardous.