We're bringing back the cheese ball with these bite-size versions of the retro party snack. Roll them in your choice of ingredients to coat and skewer each with a breadstick for a fun twist.
- Prep time 10 minutes
- Total time 2 hours & 15 minutes
- 2 cups shredded extra-old white Cheddar cheese
- 1 pkg (250 g) cream cheese softened
- 2 tablespoons whipping cream (35%)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- pinch pepper
- fresh chives chopped
- cooked bacon finely chopped
- chips crushed
- cranberries finely chopped
- pistachios finely chopped
- toasted walnuts finely chopped
- dried apricots finely chopped
In food processor, whirl together Cheddar, cream cheese, cream, mustard and pepper until smooth. Scrape into bowl; refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour.
Roll by 1 tbsp into balls; arrange on parchment paper–lined baking sheet. Refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour. (Make-ahead: Layer between waxed paper in airtight container; refrigerate for up to 3 days.) Roll in desired coatings.
Tip from The Test Kitchen: Look for apple chips, which are crispy, instead of dried apple rings, which tend to be chewier. The chips are often sold in the produce section of major supermarkets or in health food stores.
Makes about 25 cheese balls.
Nutritional facts Per serving: about
- Sodium 91 mg
- Protein 3 g
- Calories 75.0
- Total fat 7 g
- Potassium 24 mg
- Cholesterol 22 mg
- Saturated fat 4 g
- Total carbohydrate 1 g
- Iron 1.0
- Folate 1.0
- Calcium 7.0
- Vitamin A 7.0