Apple Crumble Pie
This recipe makes 8 servings
|Per serving: about||-|
|total fat||17 g|
|sat. fat||9 g|
- Portion size: 8
This sweet and crunchy crumble-top pie is particularly good served warm with ice cream. Choose a firm apple because of the long cooking time.
- 1 1Double-Crust Sour Cream Pastry recipe, halved Filling:
- 8 cups 8cupsthinly sliced peeled applepeeled apples, about 7 (3 lb/1.5 kg)
- 2 tbsp 2tbsplemon juice
- 1/2 cup 1/2cupgranulated sugar
- 2 tbsp 2tbspall-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tspcinnamon Topping:
- 3/4 cup 3/4cupall-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp 3tbspgranulated sugar
- 3 tbsp 3tbsppacked brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tspcinnamon
- 1/4 cup 1/4cupcold butter, cubed
Topping: In bowl, whisk together flour, granulated and brown sugars and cinnamon. Using pastry blender, cut in butter until crumbly; set aside.
On lightly floured surface, roll out pastry to generous 1/8-inch (3 mm) thickness; fit into 9-inch (23 cm) pie plate. Trim to leave 3/4-inch (2 cm) overhang; fold under and flute edge. Set aside.
Filling: In large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice. Add sugar, flour and cinnamon; toss to combine. Scrape into pie shell. Sprinkle with topping.
Bake in bottom third of 425°F (220°C) oven for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°F (180°C); bake for about 80 minutes or until filling is bubbly and thickened. Let cool on rack. (Make-ahead: Set aside for up to 24 hours.)
Source : Canadian Living Magazine: October 2007