Baked French Toast With Caramelized Pear Sauce
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Total time : 2-1/2 hours
- Portion size: 10 to 12
This recipe makes 12 servings
|Per each of 12 servings: about||-|
|total fat||12 g|
|sat. fat||7 g|
|dietary fibre||2 g|
This all-in-one saucy French toast bake is a sweet breakfast treat for a crowd of hungry guests. For the best texture, use pears that are ripe yet still firm.
- 4 4pearpears, (such as Bartlett or Anjou)
- 1/3 cup 1/3cupbutter, softened
- 1 cup 1cuppacked brown sugar
- 2 tbsp 2tbspcorn syrup
- 1 cup 1cupthawed frozen cranberries
- 2 tbsp 2tbspall-purpose flour
- 6 thick (1-inch/2.5 cm) slices 6 thick (1-inch/2.5 cm) slicesegg bread
- 1-1/4 cups 1-1/4cupsmilk
- 1/2 cup 1/2cupwhipping cream, (35%)
- 5 5eggeggs
- 1 tsp 1tspvanilla
- 1 pinch 1pinchnutmeg
- 1 pinch 1pinchsalt Topping:
- 2 tbsp 2tbspgranulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tspcinnamon
Peel, core and cut pears into 1/4-inch (5 mm) thick slices; set aside.
In skillet, melt butter over medium heat; cook brown sugar and corn syrup, stirring, until sugar is dissolved, about 1 minute.
Add pears and cranberries; cook over medium-high heat, stirring often, for 5 minutes. Whisk flour with 2 tbsp water; whisk into pan and cook until pears are tender and sauce is thickened and syrupy, about 12 minutes. Spread in greased 13- x 9-inch (3 L) baking dish; let cool for 20 minutes.
Layer bread over pear mixture. Whisk together milk, cream, eggs, vanilla, nutmeg and salt; pour over bread. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. (Make-ahead: Refrigerate for up to 24 hours.)
Topping: Stir sugar with cinnamon; sprinkle over bread. Bake, uncovered, in 350ºF (180ºC) oven until puffed and golden, about 50 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Source : Canadian Living Magazine: January 2013