This luscious pie, which originated in England, uses dulce de leche, a Latin American caramelized milk confection, which is available at many grocery and specialty food stores.
- Portion size 12 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Special Issue: Home for the Holidays 2008
- 1 1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter melted
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 cup dulce de leche
- 3 bananas cut into 3-1/2-inch (1 cm) thick slices
- 1 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 3/4 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon finely ground instant coffee granules optional
MethodIn bowl, stir together crumbs, butter and salt ; press onto bottom and up side of greased deep 9-inch (23 cm) pie plate. Bake in 350°F (180°C) oven until firm, about 10 minutes. Let cool on rack.
Spread dulce de leche onto cooled crust. Arrange bananas over top.
In large bowl, whip cream with granulated sugar and vanilla; spread over bananas. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours. (Make-ahead: Refrigerate for up to 12 hours.) Sprinkle with coffee granules (if using).
Nutritional facts Per serving: about
- Sodium 127 mg
- Protein 3 g
- Calories 249.0
- Total fat 16 g
- Cholesterol 47 mg
- Saturated fat 9 g
- Total carbohydrate 25 g
- Iron 4.0
- Folate 7.0
- Calcium 7.0
- Vitamin A 16.0
- Vitamin C 7.0