Dotted with chopped red berries and white nuts, these make toothsome taste treats that look great, too.
- Portion size 36 servings
- Credits : © CanadianLiving.com
- 2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon rind
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 3 cups coarsely chopped cranberries
- 1 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- 1 1/4 cup finely chopped blanched almond
- 2 tablespoons icing sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cups butter cut in bits
- 1 cup finely chopped blanched almond
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
Base: In large bowl, combine flour with sugar. Using pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in butter until mixture is in coarse crumbs. Stir in finely chopped almonds and almond extract.
Press into foil-lined and greased 13- x 9-inch (3.5 L) cake pan. Bake in centre of 350°F (180°C) oven for about 20 minutes or until edges are light gold. Let cool.
In bowl, combine sugar with flour; whisk in eggs, milk, lemon rind and vanilla. Stir in cranberries, coconut and almonds. Spread over base.
Bake in centre of 350°F (180°C) oven for 50 minutes or until lightly browned. Let cool completely in pan on rack. Refrigerate for about 2 hours or until firm.
Sprinkle with icing sugar. Cut into bars. (Make ahead: Refrigerate in airtight container for up to 5 days or freeze for up to 2 weeks.)
Nutritional facts <b>Per Bar:</b> about
- Sodium 50 mg
- Protein 3 g
- Calories 185.0
- Total fat 8 g
- Cholesterol 33 mg
- Saturated fat 3 g
- Total carbohydrate 25 g
- Iron 5.0
- Folate 6.0
- Calcium 2.0
- Vitamin A 4.0
- Vitamin C 2.0