These holiday-themed rum balls have all the same flavours of classic fruitcake, but don't require the time-consuming baking, soaking and wrapping.
- Portion size 36 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living: Holiday Baking 2014
- 3/4 cups ground almonds
- 3 tablespoons icing sugar
- 1/2 cup vanilla wafer cookie crumbs about 1 cup whole cookies
- 1/4 cup each finely chopped red and green glacé cherries
- 2 tablespoons chopped candied mixed peel
- 30 g marzipan torn in small pieces
- 1/4 cup dark rum
MethodIn small bowl, mix 1 tbsp of the ground almonds with icing sugar. Set aside.
In separate bowl, stir together remaining ground almonds, the cookie crumbs, cherries, mixed peel and marzipan. Stir in rum; press into dough. Cover bowl with plastic wrap; refrigerate until firm enough to roll out, about 15 minutes.
Roll by rounded 1 tsp into balls. Arrange on waxed or parchment paper–lined rimmed baking sheet; refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour. (Make-ahead: Layer between waxed paper in airtight container; refrigerate or freeze for up to 1 month.) Roll balls in icing sugar mixture, pressing gently to adhere.
Nutritional facts per piece: about
- Sodium 5 mg
- Sugars 4 g
- Protein 1 g
- Calories 36.0
- Total fat 1 g
- Potassium 22 mg
- Cholesterol 1 mg
- Total carbohydrate 5 g
- Iron 1.0
- Calcium 1.0