- Portion size 8 servings
- Credits : © CanadianLiving.com
- 1 pastry for 9-inch (23cm)
- 4 cups sour cherries pitted
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 sprinkle granulated sugar
Line 9-inch (23 cm) pie plate with pastry.
In large bowl, combine sour cherries, sugar, flour, lemon juice and almond extract. Fill pastry shell with sour cherry mixture; dot filling with butter.
Moisten edges of bottom crust. Cover with top crust. Trim and flute edges. Cut steam vents. Brush top with milk or cream; sprinkle lightly with granulated sugar.
Bake in 425°F (220°C) oven for 15 minutes; reduce heat to 350°F (180°C) and bake for 45 to 60 minutes longer or until sour cherries are tender, filling thickened and crust golden.