Biscuit-Topped Chicken Pot Pie
This recipe makes 4 servings
|Per serving: about||-|
|total fat||31 g|
|sat. fat||14 g|
- Portion size: 4
Make the filling on Sunday, then just add the topping today while the oven heats. Milk in the filling and in the biscuits adds calcium. Serve with salad.
- 1 tbsp 1tbspvegetable oil
- 3 3carrotcarrots, sliced
- 2 cups 2cupsquartered mushroommushrooms
- 1 1small onion, chopped
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tspdried tarragon
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tspeach of salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup 1/3cupall-purpose flour
- 1-3/4 cups 1-3/4cupsmilk
- 1-3/4 cups 1-3/4cupssodium-reduced chicken stock
- 2 cups 2cupsgreen beangreen beans, cut in 2-inch (5 cm) lengths
- 3 cups 3cupsshredded cooked chicken
- 1 tsp 1tspDijon mustard Biscuit Topping:
- 1-1/2 cups 1-1/2cupsall-purpose flour
- 2 tsp 2tspbaking powder
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tspsalt
- 1/3 cup 1/3cupcold butter, cubed
- 2/3 cup 2/3cupmilk
In large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat; saut?arrots, mushrooms, onion, tarragon, salt and pepper until onion is softened, about 8 minutes.
Add flour; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk and stock; bring to boil, stirring. Add beans. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring often, until thick enough to coat back of spoon, about 6 minutes. Stir in chicken and mustard. Spoon into round 8-cup (2 L) baking dish; set aside. (Make-ahead: Let cool for 30 minutes; refrigerate, uncovered, until cold. Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days; rewarm in microwave to continue.)
Biscuit Topping: In food processor, pulse together flour, baking powder and salt ; pulse in butter until crumbly. Drizzle in milk, pulsing just until soft sticky dough forms. Turn out onto floured surface; knead 10 times or until smooth. Pat out to fit top of baking dish. Cut into 8 wedges; arrange over chicken mixture.
Bake on rimmed baking sheet in 400°F (200°C) oven until biscuits are golden and no longer doughy on bottom, about 40 minutes.
Source : Canadian Living Magazine: March 2006