Broccoli and Cheddar White Bean Spread With Pita Wedges and Crudités
This recipe makes 6 servings
|Per each of 6 servings: about||-|
|total fat||15 g|
|sat. fat||5 g|
- Portion size: 4 to 6
Many dips are laden with fat from mayonnaise or sour cream. Here, beans make a hearty substitute and lend a hummus-like texture – with the added bonus of fibre and protein.
- 1-1/2 cups 1-1/2cupsbroccoli floretbroccoli florets
- 1 can (540 mL) 1can (540 mL)cannellini beans or white kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup 1cupshredded old Cheddar cheese
- 1 1clove garliccloves of garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp 3tbspolive oil
- 3 tbsp 3tbsplemon juice
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tspsalt
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tsppepper
- 9 cups 9cupsvegetable cruditevegetable crudites, (baby carrots, celery, sweet pepper)
- 3 3whole grain Greek-style pitas, cut in wedges
In saucepan of boiling salted water, cover and cook broccoli until tender-crisp, about 2 minutes. Drain and chill in cold water; drain well. Transfer to food processor.
Add beans, Cheddar cheese, garlic, oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper; purée until smooth.
To take along, divide dip, vegetables and pitas among resealable containers.
Source : Canadian Living Magazine: March 2011