Cajun Red Beans and Rice
- Portion size: 4
This recipe makes 4 servings
|Per serving: about||-|
|total fat||5 g|
|sat. fat||1 g|
Large bags of rice are not only cheaper than smaller packages but also can be kept in the pantry for months.
- 1 tbsp 1tbspvegetable oil
- 1 1oniononions, chopped
- 2 2cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp 1tbspCajun seasoning
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tspeach salt, and pepper
- 1-1/3 cups 1-1/3cupslong-grain rice
- 1 1sweet green peppersweet green peppers, chopped
- 2 cans (each 19 oz/540 mL) 2cans (each 19 oz/540 mL)red kidney beanred kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups 2cupsvegetable stock
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tsphot pepper sauce
- 1 cup 1cupcorn kernels
- 2 tbsp 2tbspminced fresh parsley
In large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat; fry onion, garlic, Cajun seasoning, salt and pepper until softened, about 4 minutes.
Add rice, green pepper and kidney beans; stir to coat. Add stock, hot pepper sauce and 1 cup (250 mL) water; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes.
With fork, gently stir in corn; heat through. Sprinkle with parsley.
Additional information :
Cajun Red Beans, Rice and Turkey or Bacon: Add 6 oz (175 g) smoked turkey, chopped, or 8 slices cooked bacon, crumbled. Stir into rice mixture along with corn.
Source : Canadian Living Magazine: February 2005