Caraway Pork Goulash
This recipe makes 8 servings
- Portion size: 6 to 8
Top this robust Hungarian goulash with a big dollop of sour cream and serve it with buttered parsleyed noodles or potatoes. Irresistible!
- 1/4 cup 1/4cupbutter
- 2 tbsp 2tbspoil
- 3 lb 3lblean boneless pork, in 1-inch (2.5 cm) cubes
- 5 cups 5cupssliced oniononions
- 1 1clove garliccloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp 2tbspsweet Hungarian paprika
- 1 tbsp 1tbspcaraway seeds
- 2 tsp 2tspcrushed dried marjoram
- 1-1/2 tsp 1-1/2tspsalt
- 1/4 cup 1/4cuplemon juice
- 3/4 cup 3/4cupdry red wine
- 1/4 cup 1/4cupwater
- 2 tbsp 2tbsptomato paste
- 1/2 cup 1/2cupfinely chopped parsley
In heavy saucepan, melt butter, add oil and brown pork, half at a time, on all sides. Remove pork to plate and add onions and garlic to pan. Saut?ver medium heat until translucent, about 5 to 8 minutes. Blend in paprika, caraway seeds, marjoram and salt. Continue cooking for 3 minutes. Return pork and any accumulated juices to onions.
Pour in lemon juice, wine, water and tomato paste and stir all ingredients together; cover and simmer until meat is tender, about 1-1/2 hours. For a thicker goulash, remove lid for last 30 minutes. Taste, adjusting seasoning if necessary.
Sprinkle with parsley and serve immediately, steaming hot.