Chicken and Vegetable Coconut Rice
- Portion size: 8 to 10
This recipe makes 10 servings
|Per each of 10 servings: about||-|
|total fat||15 g|
|sat. fat||11 g|
- 1-1/2 cups 1-1/2cupslong-grain rice, rinsed and drained
- 1 1sweet potatosweet potatoes, peeled and cut in 3/4-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup 1/2cupunsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 can (400 mL) 1can (400 mL)coconut milk
- 1-1/4 cups 1-1/4cupswater
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tspsalt
- 1 lb 1lbboneless skinless chicken thighboneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 2cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp 2tbspsodium-reduced soy sauce
- 1 tbsp 1tbspcurry powder
- 1 tbsp 1tbspvegetable oil
- 1/2 cup 1/2cupthinly sliced shallotshallots
- 4 cups 4cupschopped bok choy
- Lime wedges
- Cilantro sprigsCilantro sprigs, (optional)
In large saucepan, mix together rice, sweet potato and half of the shredded coconut. Add coconut milk, water and half of the salt; bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, cut chicken into 3/4-inch (2 cm) cubes. In bowl, toss together chicken, garlic, soy sauce and curry powder.
In skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; stir-fry shallots until light golden. Add chicken mixture; stir-fry until chicken is lightly browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Scrape over rice.
Top chicken with bok choy; sprinkle with remaining salt. Cover and cook over low heat until rice is tender and juices run clear when chicken is pierced, 10 to 15 minutes. Fluff with fork, mixing in chicken and bok choy. Cover and let stand for 15 minutes. Transfer to serving dish.
Meanwhile, in small skillet, toast remaining coconut over medium-low heat until golden. Sprinkle over rice mixture; garnish with lime wedges, and cilantro (if using).
Source : Canadian Living Magazine: March 2011