Chickpea and Black Bean Salad
Photography by Yvonne Duivenvoorden
This recipe makes 8 servings
|Per serving: about||-|
|total fat||8 g|
|sat. fat||1 g|
- Portion size: 8
Canned beans are a must to have on hand for satisfying salads. For a vegetarian meal, serve with grilled portobello mushrooms and bread such as corn bread or whole wheat rolls.
- 2 cups 2cupschopped green beangreen beans
- 1 can (19 oz/540 ml) 1can (19 oz/540 ml)chickpeas
- 1 can (19 oz/540 ml) 1can (19 oz/540 ml)black beanblack beans
- 1 1sweet red peppersweet red peppers, diced
- 1 cup 1cupcorn kernels
- 2 2green oniongreen onions, sliced
- 1/4 cup 1/4cupchopped fresh coriander Chili Lime Dressing:
- 1/4 cup 1/4cupvegetable oil
- 1 tsp 1tspgrated lime rind
- 3 tbsp 3tbsplime juice
- 1-1/2 tsp 1-1/2tspchili powder
- 1 tsp 1tspgranulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tspsalt
In saucepan of boiling salted water, cook green beans until tender-crisp, about 5 minutes. Drain and chill in cold water; drain and set aside.
Drain and rinse chickpeas and black beans; drain well and place in large bowl. Add red pepper, corn and onions; set aside.
Chili Lime Dressing: Whisk together oil, lime rind and juice, chili powder, sugar and salt ; pour over beans and toss to coat. (Make-ahead: Cover and refrigerate salad and beans separately for up to 24 hours.)
Add green beans and coriander; toss.
Additional information :
Make It a Meal: Add 2 cans (7.5 oz/213 g each) tuna, drained, or 2 cups (500 mL) cubed firm tofu.
Source : Canadian Living Magazine: July 2004