Chocolate Strawberry Shortcake
This recipe makes 8 servings
|Per serving: about||-|
|total fat||24 g|
|sat. fat||14 g|
- Portion size: 8
Strawberries and ice cream are a terrific way to top this rich cakey shortcake.
- 3 cups 3cupssliced strawberrystrawberries
- 3 tbsp 3tbspgranulated sugar
- 4 cups 4cupsvanilla ice cream
- 1/2 cup 1/2cupchocolate sauce Chocolate Biscuits:
- 2-1/4 cups 2-1/4cupsall-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup 1/2cupcocoa powder
- 1/2 cup 1/2cupgranulated sugar
- 2-1/2 tsp 2-1/2tspbaking powder
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tspbaking soda
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tspsalt
- 1/2 cup 1/2cupcold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 cup 1cupbuttermilk
- 1 1eggeggs
- 1 tsp 1tspvanilla Topping:
- 1 tbsp 1tbspwhipping cream 35%
- 2 tsp 2tspgranulated sugar
Chocolate Biscuits: In large bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. With pastry blender, cut in butter until crumbly. Whisk together buttermilk, egg and vanilla; add to flour mixture, stirring with fork to make soft dough.
With lightly floured hands, press dough into ball. On floured surface, knead gently 10 times. Pat into 1-inch (2.5 cm) thick round. Using 3-inch (8 cm) round cookie cutter, cut out rounds, patting out scraps and cutting more rounds. Place on parchment paper–lined baking sheet.
Topping: Brush biscuits with cream; sprinkle with sugar. Bake in centre of 400°F (200°C) oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until puffed and toothpick comes out clean. Let cool on pan on racks. (Make-ahead: Set aside for up to 6 hours.)
Meanwhile, mix strawberries with sugar; cover and let stand for 20 minutes or until juices form. (Make-ahead: Let stand for up to 2 hours.)
Split biscuit horizontally in half; place bottom half on each plate. Layer with berries, ice cream, chocolate sauce and biscuit top.
Source : Canadian Living Magazine: June 2008