Chunky Rice and Bean Soup
This recipe makes 6 servings
|Per each of 6 servings: about||-|
|total fat||4 g|
- Portion size: 4 to 6
Soup is a favourite of Caroline's, and she serves this hearty one with a loaf of crusty bread and a platter of vegetable sticks. A tip for Lance instructs him to check the cupboard for a can of mixed beans if there are no kidney beans.
- 1 tbsp 1tbspolive oil
- 1 1large oniononions, chopped
- 1 1stalk celery, chopped
- 1 1carrotcarrots, chopped
- 2 2garlic clovegarlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp 1tspchili powder
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tspdried oregano
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tsppepper
- 6 cups 6cupsvegetable stock
- 2 cups 2cupsshredded cabbage
- 1/4 cup 1/4cuplong-grain rice
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) 1can (19 oz/540 mL)red kidney beankidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup 1cupchopped green beangreen beans
- half sweet Red pepper, chopped
In saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat; cook onion, celery, carrot, garlic, chili powder, oregano and pepper, stirring occasionally, for about 4 minutes or until softened.
Add stock, cabbage and rice; bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Add kidney beans, green beans and red pepper; cook, covered, for 5 minutes or until vegetables and rice are tender.