Comfy Mac and Cheese
This recipe makes 6 servings
|Per serving: about||-|
|total fat||25 g|
|sat fat||14 g|
- Portion size: 6
A smaller amount of light old Cheddar-style cheese adds flavour with less fat than a larger amount of mild cheese.
- 1 1zucchinizucchinis, cubed
- 1 1sweet red peppersweet red peppers, cubed
- 1 1peeled sweet potatosweet potatoes, cubed
- 1 tbsp 1tbspvegetable oil
- 3 cups 3cupsmilk
- 1/4 cup 1/4cupall-purpose flour
- 2 cups 2cupsshredded light old Cheddar-style cheese
- 4 oz 4ozlight cream cheese
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tspdry mustard
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tspthyme
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tspsalt
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tsppepper
- 5 cups 5cupsScoobi-Do pasta or fusilli pasta Topping:
- 1 cup 1cupfresh bread crumbs
- 3 tbsp 3tbspbutter, melted
- 2 tbsp 2tbspfreshly grated Parmesan cheese
In bowl, toss zucchini, red pepper and potato with oil; spread on lightly greased baking sheet. Roast in 450°F (230°C) oven for 25 minutes.
Meanwhile, whisk 1/4 cup (50 mL) of the milk with flour. In saucepan, heat remaining milk over medium heat until bubbles appear around edge; whisk in flour mixture and bring to boil, whisking. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring, for 10 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat. Whisk in Cheddar and cream cheeses, mustard, thyme, salt and pepper until smooth.
Meanwhile, in large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta for 8 minutes or until just tender. Drain and return to pot; stir in sauce and vegetables. Spoon into greased 8-cup (2 L) casserole.
Topping: Combine crumbs, butter and Parmesan. Sprinkle over pasta. Bake in 450°F (230°C) oven for 10 minutes or until bubbling and golden.
Source : © CanadianLiving.com