Corn and Cheddar Chowder
|Per serving: about||-|
|total fat||27 g|
- Portion size: 2
Corn and Cheddar Chowder, chock-full of veggies, this chowder is great with a spinach salad. End the meal with wedges of watermelon.
- 2 tsp 2tspbutter
- 1 1oniononions, chopped
- 1 1clove garliccloves of garlic, minced
- 1 1carrotcarrots, diced
- 1 1celery stalkcelery stalks, diced
- 1 tbsp 1tbspall-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups 1-1/2cupsdiced new potatonew potatoes
- 1-1/2 tsp 1-1/2tspchopped fresh thyme leaffresh thyme leaves
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tspsalt
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tsppepper
- 1 1bayleaf
- pinch pinchhot pepper flakes
- 1 cup 1cupvegetable stock or chicken stock
- 1-1/4 cups 1-1/4cupsmilk
- 1 cup 1cupcorn niblets
- 1 cup 1cupshredded old Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup 1/4cupdiced sweet red peppersweet red peppers
In saucepan, melt butter over medium heat; cook onion, garlic, carrot, celery and potatoes, stirring, for 3 minutes. Add flour, thyme, salt, pepper, bay leaf and hot pepper flakes; stir for 30 seconds. Whisk in stock. Bring to boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered, for about 10 minutes or until potatoes are just tender.
Stir in milk and corn; cook over low heat, covered, for about 8 minutes or until corn is tender. (Can be cooled, covered and refrigerated for up to 1 day; reheat over low heat.) Add cheese; cook, stirring, just until melted. Discard bay leaf; taste and adjust seasoning. Garnish with red pepper.