Fresh and Spicy Squash Soup
This recipe makes 8 servings
- Portion size: 8
- 2 tbsp 2tbspvegetable oil
- 2 2oniononions, chopped
- 1 1clove garliccloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 1celery stalkcelery stalks, chopped
- 1/4 cup 1/4cupminced gingerroot
- 1/4 cup 1/4cupchopped fresh coriander
- 2 tsp 2tspground coriander seeds
- 1 tsp 1tspground cumin
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tspsalt
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tsppepper
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tspgrated lemon rind
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tspturmeric
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tsphot pepper flakes
- 8 cups 8cupscubed, peeled butternut squashbutternut squashes, about 3lb
- 1 1tomatotomatoes, chopped
- 4 cups 4cupschicken stock or vegetable stock
- 1 400 mL can 1400 mL cancoconut milk
- 1/2 cup 1/2cupfresh coriander leaffresh coriander leaves
In large heavy saucepan or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat; cook onions, garlic, celery, ginger, fresh and ground coriander, cumin, salt, pepper, lemon rind, turmeric and hot pepper flakes, stirring until aromatic and onions are softened, 5 to 8 minutes.
Stir in squash and tomato; pour in stock and bring to boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer until squash is tender, about 20 minutes.
In blender or food processor, puree soup, in batches, until smooth. Return to clean saucepan; reheat until steaming. Stir in coconut milk; heat through. Serve sprinkled with coriander leaves.