Garlic-Crusted Sirloin Tip Roast with Mushroom Gravy
- Portion size: 8 to 10
This recipe makes 8 servings
|Per each of 10 servings: about||-|
|total fat||14 g|
|sat. fat||4 g|
Fragrant with roasted garlic, this roast makes an easy and impressive centrepiece to a harvest menu.
- 1 4 lb/2 kg 14 lb/2 kgbeef sirloin tip oven roastbeef sirloin tip oven roasts
- 10 10cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp 2tspkosher salt or salt
- 2 tbsp 2tbspvegetable oil
- 1 tsp 1tsppepper MUSHROOM GRAVY
- 1-3/4 cups 1-3/4cupsbeef stock, (approx)
- 1 tbsp 1tbspvegetable oil
- 1/2 1/2small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups 2cupsthinly sliced cremini mushrooms
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tspsalt
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tsppepper
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tspdried thyme
- 3 tbsp 3tbspall purpose flour
Place roast on rack in roasting pan. In bowl, mash garlic with salt to form paste; stir in oil and pepper. Spread over roast.
Roast in 500°F (260°C) oven for 30 minutes. Reduce heat to 275°F (140°C); roast until meat thermometer inserted into centre registers 140°F (60°C) for medium-rare, about 2 hours. Transfer to cutting board; tent with foil and let stand until temperature rises 5°F (3°C), about 10 minutes.
Mushroom Gravy: Meanwhile, skim fat from pan juices; scrape juices into glass measure. Add enough stock to make 2 cups (500 mL). Set aside.
In saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat; fry onion, mushrooms, salt, pepper and thyme, stirring occasionally, until softened and no liquid remains, about 6 minutes.
Stir in reserved pan juice mixture; bring to boil. In small bowl, whisk flour with 1/4 cup (50 mL) water; stir into gravy and simmer until thickened, about 2 minutes.
Source : Canadian Living Magazine: October 2006