Giblet Stock for Gravy
This recipe makes 10 1/2 cup servings
- Portion size: 5 cups (1.25 L)
This is a basic stock recipe to go into turkey or goose gravy.
- Neck and giblets of turkey or goose
- 1 1oniononions, quartered
- 1 1outer celery stalk with leavescelery stalks with leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1 1carrotcarrots, chopped
- 1 1clove garliccloves of garlic
- 1 1bay leafbay leaves
- 3 sprigs 3sprigsparsley
- 2 2fresh thyme sprigfresh thyme sprigs
- 1 1whole cloves
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tsppeppercorns
Turkey Stock: Chop neck into 5 or 6 pieces; clean gizzard of any fat or membranes and cut in half. Cut heart in half.
In saucepan, bring neck, gizzard, heart and 6 cups (1.5 L) water to boil; skim off foam. Add onion, celery, carrot, garlic, bay leaf, parsley, thyme, clove and peppercorns; cover and simmer over low heat for 2 hours.
Strain, reserving heart and gizzard; trim and chop remaining giblets for gravy. (Make-ahead: Cover and refrigerate stock and giblets separately for up to 1 day.)
Goose Stock: Proceed as for Turkey Stock except add wing tips and increase cloves to 4; cover with 7 cups (1.75 L) water and simmer, covered, for 3 hours. Discard solids.