This recipe makes 7 servings
- Portion size: 7 cups (1.75 L)
Like most relishes, this one tastes better after it's mellowed for three weeks.
- 2 cups 2cupschopped cucumbercucumbers, (unpeeled)
- 1 cup 1cupeach chopped sweet red peppersweet red peppers, yellow and green peppers
- 1 cup 1cupchopped celery
- 1 cup 1cupchopped onion
- 1/4 cup 1/4cuppickling salt
- 4 cups 4cupschopped seeded peeled tomatotomatoes
- 3 cups 3cupswhite vinegar
- 1 tbsp 1tbspmustard seeds
- 1 tsp 1tspturmeric
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tspcinnamon
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tspallspice
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tspcayenne pepper
- 2 cups 2cupsgranulated sugar
- 1/4 cup 1/4cuptomato paste
In large bowl, combine cucumbers, sweet peppers, celery, onion and salt ; cover with boiling water and let stand for 1 hour. Drain; rinse under cold water and drain well.
In large heavy saucepan, bring to boil tomatoes, vinegar, mustard seeds, turmeric, cinnamon, allspice and cayenne pepper, stirring often; reduce heat to medium and simmer for 30 minutes or until tomatoes are soft. Stir in sugar and drained vegetables; bring to boil, stirring often. Reduce heat to medium and boil gently, stirring often, until thickened, about 20 minutes. Stir in tomato paste about 5 minutes before end of cooking time.
Fill and seal jars; process in boiling water bath for 10 minutes.