Healthy Lentil Vegetable Soup
This recipe makes 6 servings
|Per serving: about||-|
|total fat||6 g|
|sat. fat||2 g|
- Portion size: 4 to 6
Low-sodium stock has 25 per cent less sodium than regular stock. Adding more water than directed on the can reduces the sodium in each serving even more.
- 2 tsp 2tspvegetable oil
- 1 1oniononions, chopped
- 2 2clove garliccloves of garlic, minced
- 2 2potatopotatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 2carrotcarrots, diced
- 2 2celery stalkcelery stalks, diced
- 1 1bay leafbay leaves
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tspdried thyme
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tspmarjoram
- 2 10 oz cans 210 oz canslow-sodium chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 1 cup 1cupgreen lentils
- 1/4 cup 1/4cupconverted brown rice
- 1/4 cup 1/4cuptomato paste
- 2 tbsp 2tbspchopped fresh parsley
In large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat; fry onion, garlic, potatoes, carrots, celery, bay leaf, thyme and marjoram until softened, about 5 minutes.
Dilute stock according to can directions; add to saucepan along with lentils, rice, tomato paste and 1 cup (250 mL) water. Bring to boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer until lentils and rice are tender but not mushy, about 25 minutes. (Make ahead: Let cool for 30 minutes. Refrigerate, uncovered, in airtight container until cold. Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.) Discard bay leaf. Stir in parsley.
Source : Canadian Living Magazine: November 2003