Kale and Chickpea Soup
- Portion size: 6
This recipe makes 6 servings
|Per serving: about||-|
|total fat||8 g|
|sat. fat||1 g|
Hearty and satisfying, this is a first-rate dinnertime soup. Serve with Chipotle Olive Bread.
- 2 tbsp 2tbspextra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1oniononions, chopped
- 2 2cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tspcrumbled dried sage
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tspsalt
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tsppepper
- 3 cups 3cupssodium-reduced chicken stock or chicken stock, homemade
- 2 cups 2cupscubed peeled sweet potatosweet potatoes
- 1-1/2 cups 1-1/2cupscubed Black Forest ham, about 6 oz/175 g
- 1 1sweet red peppersweet red peppers, chopped
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) 1can (19 oz/540 mL)chickpeachickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3 cups 3cupschopped kale
In large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat; fry onion, garlic, sage, salt and pepper, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened, about 5 minutes.
Add stock, 3 cups (750 mL) water, potato, ham, red pepper and chickpeas; bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until potatoes are tender, 15 minutes.
Add kale; simmer until tender, about 5 minutes. (Make-ahead: Let cool for 30 minutes; refrigerate until cold. Refrigerate in airtight container for up to 3 days.)
Additional information :
Spinach and Chickpea Soup: Substitute spinach for kale; cook until wilted, 1 minute.
Source : Canadian Living Magazine: November 2005