- Portion size 4 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: January 2010
- 4 baking apples
- 1/4 cup whole almond (with skin)
- 1/2 cup chopped Mission figs
- 1/2 cup chopped pitted prunes
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon almond liqueur (such as Amaretto) or maple syrup
- 4 teaspoons butter
- 1/2 cup apple juice
MethodUsing melon baller or spoon, core apples, leaving 1/4-inch (1 cm) base. Pierce each apple 4 times with fork or knife. Set aside.
On baking sheet, toast almonds until golden and fragrant, about 10 minutes. Let cool and finely chop.
In bowl, stir together figs, almonds, sugar and liqueur. Spoon into apple centres. Top each with 1 tsp (5 mL) butter.
Place apples in 8-inch (2 L) square glass baking dish; pour in apple juice. Bake in 375°F (190°C) oven until tender, about 45 minutes.
Nutritional facts Per serving: about
- Sodium 35 mg
- Protein 3 g
- Calories 249.0
- Total fat 9 g
- Potassium 398 mg
- Cholesterol 10 mg
- Saturated fat 3 g
- Total carbohydrate 44 g
- Iron 9.0
- Folate 3.0
- Calcium 6.0
- Vitamin A 5.0
- Vitamin C 10.0