The sirloin grilling steaks added to this noodle soup with vegetables make it a filling, one-bowl meal.
- Portion size 4 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: March 2007
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 8 oz beef top sirloin grilling steaks thinly sliced across the grain
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons sodium-reduced soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sherry (optional)
- 3/4 teaspoons five-spice powder
- 3/4 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 6 oz wide (1/2 inch/1 cm) rice noodles
- 2 carrots
- 4 heads baby bok choy
- 4 cups sodium-reduced beef stock
- 1 egg beaten
- 2 green onions thinly sliced
MethodIn bowl, combine steak, half each of the cornstarch, soy sauce, and sherry (if using), the oil, five-spice powder and sugar. Let marinate for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, cook noodles according to package directions; drain and divide among 4 bowls. Peel carrots; cut into thin 2-inch (5 cm) long strips. Separate bok choy into leaves. Set aside.
In large Dutch oven, bring stock, remaining soy sauce and sherry and 2 cups (500 mL) water to boil. Stir in steak mixture, separating with spoon; reduce heat and simmer
for 3 minutes. Add carrots and bok choy; cook until wilted, about 2 minutes.
In small bowl, whisk remaining cornstarch with 1 tbsp (15 mL) water; stir into soup and simmer until glossy and slightly thickened, about 2 minutes. Return soup to boil. With fork, stir in egg in slow thin stream, pulling into strands. Pour over noodles; sprinkle with green onions.
Nutritional facts Per serving: about
- Sodium 067 mg
- Protein 20 g
- Calories 315.0
- Total fat 5 g
- Cholesterol 76 mg
- Saturated fat 1 g
- Total carbohydrate 47 g
- Iron 22.0
- Folate 26.0
- Calcium 11.0
- Vitamin A 100.0
- Vitamin C 40.0