Chili pepper and fresh ginger give this hearty main a spicy kick. Serve the stew with a slice of crusty bread for dipping.
- Prep time 30 minutes
- Total time 30 minutes
- Portion size 6 servings
Chicken and Kale Stew:
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 1/2 cups cubed seeded peeled butternut squashes
- 1 onion thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic finely grated or pressed
- 1 small chili pepper (red or yellow), halved lengthwise and seeded
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 pkg (900 ml) sodium-reduced chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon each dried sage and dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 450 g boneless skinless chicken breasts cubed
- 4 cups chopped stemmed kale
- 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/3 cup 2% plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds toasted
MethodChicken and Kale Stew: In Dutch oven or large heavy-bottomed saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat; cook squash and onion, stirring occasionally, until onion is beginning to brown, about 4 minutes. Add garlic, chili pepper and ginger; cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
Stir in broth, sage, thyme, pepper and salt; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Add chicken; simmer, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
Using slotted spoon, remove chili pepper to cutting board; mince chili pepper. Reserve for Chili Yogurt.
Add kale and corn to Dutch oven; cook, stirring occasionally, until kale is wilted and chicken is no longer pink inside, about 2 minutes. Stir in lemon juice.
Whisk cornstarch with 2 tbsp water; stir into Dutch oven. Bring to boil; cook, stirring, until thickened, about 1 minute. Ladle stew into serving bowls.
Chili Yogurt: In small bowl, stir together yogurt, chives, lemon juice and reserved chili pepper; dollop over stew. Sprinkle with sunflower seeds.
Nutritional facts per serving: about
- Fibre 3 g
- Sodium 532 mg
- Sugars 4 g
- Protein 23 g
- Calories 195.0
- Total fat 4 g
- Potassium 588 mg
- Cholesterol 44 mg
- Saturated fat 1 g
- Total carbohydrate 18 g
- Iron 11.0
- Folate 15.0
- Calcium 8.0
- Vitamin A 94.0
- Vitamin C 50.0