This Chicken Souvlaki recipe is a flavourful must-have main for any Greek-inspired menu, and makes an easy family weeknight dinner as well. Don't forget to serve these tasty skewers with our zesty Greek Tzatziki sauce, find the recipe link below.
- Portion size 4 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: March 2007; Best Recipes Ever, weekdays at 3pm on CBC TV
- 12 oz chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 red onion cut into 1 inch (2.5 cm) wedges
- 1/2 cucumber
- 1/4 cup prepared tzatziki sauce
- 4 whole wheat pocketless pitas
- 1 tomato cut into chunks
- 1 cup shredded romaine lettuce
MethodCut chicken into 1-inch (2.5 cm) cubes. In large bowl, toss together chicken, lemon rind and juice, oil, oregano, salt and pepper; let stand for 10 minutes to marinate.
Alternately thread chicken and onion onto 4 metal skewers. Broil on foil-lined rimmed baking sheet, turning once, until chicken is no longer pink inside, about 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, cut cucumber in half lengthwise; thinly slice crosswise to make 1 cup (250 mL).
Spread tzatziki over half of each pita. Push chicken and onion off skewers onto pitas. Top with tomato, cucumber and lettuce; fold over.
Serve with our Greek Tzatziki recipe.
Nutritional facts Per serving: about
- Sodium 668 mg
- Protein 29 g
- Calories 392.0
- Total fat 8 g
- Cholesterol 51 mg
- Saturated fat 2 g
- Total carbohydrate 55 g
- Iron 25.0
- Folate 29.0
- Calcium 5.0
- Vitamin A 11.0
- Vitamin C 20.0