This savoury and delicious meal will become a family favourite.
- Prep time 15 minutes
- Total time 1 hour & 15 minutes
- 8 skin-on bone-in chicken thighs (about 1.5 kg)
- 1/2 cup diced thick-cut bacon or pancetta
- 20 small button mushrooms , or 5 large button mushrooms, quartered
- 1 red onion , cut in wedges
- Half lemon , cut in 1/4-inch slices
- 1 teaspoon salt and pepper
- 1 cup Riesling
- 1 cup whipping cream (35%)
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 large cloves garlic , minced
- 8 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 can (540 mL) no-salt-added cannellini or white beans , drained and rinsed
Preheat oven to 400°F. Place chicken, skin side up, in roasting pan. Arrange bacon, mushrooms, red onion and lemon around chicken pieces; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast until bacon is crisp, 25 to 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, in liquid measure, whisk together wine, cream, mustard and garlic.
Remove pan from oven; pour wine mixture around chicken (avoiding skin). Gently stir in thyme and beans; roast until sauce is thickened and chicken is browned, 30 to 40 minutes. Discard thyme; serve chicken over rice or couscous.
Test Kitchen Tip: Mashing some of the beans with a fork will help create a thicker sauce.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.
Nutritional facts Per each of 8 servings: about
- Fibre 4 g
- Sodium 535 mg
- Sugars 3 g
- Protein 30 g
- Calories 530
- Total fat 39 g
- Potassium 619 mg
- Cholesterol 154 mg
- Saturated fat 14 g
- Total carbohydrate 16 g