The star of this meal is definitely the dressing. Made with protein-rich white miso, maple syrup and a little heat from punchy ginger, it has a light, yet full-bodied, flavour. Make a double batch to keep on hand—it's great on rice, noodles and nourish bowls (see tip, below), too.
- Prep time 15 minutes
- Total time 30 minutes
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons white or yellow miso paste
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 clove garlic , minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 225 g soba noodles
- 1 cup sugar snap peas , trimmed
- 1 cup bite-size broccoli florets
- 1 sweet red pepper , thinly sliced
- Quarter red onion , thinly sliced
- Quarter English cucumber , halved lengthwise and sliced crosswise
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro (with stems)
- 1/4 cup natural (skin-on) almonds , toasted and chopped
Miso Dressing: In large bowl, whisk together oil, lemon juice, miso paste, maple syrup, ginger, garlic, salt (if using) and cayenne pepper. Set aside.
Salad: In saucepan of boiling water, cook noodles according to package instructions. Drain and rinse under cold water; drain well. Set aside.
Meanwhile, in separate saucepan of boiling salted water, cook snap peas and broccoli until tender-crisp, about 2 minutes. Drain and transfer to bowl of ice water to chill; drain well.
Thinly slice snap peas; place in large bowl. Add broccoli, red pepper, onion and cucumber; toss with half of the dressing. Add noodles and cilantro; gently toss with remaining dressing. Sprinkle with almonds.
Tip from The Test Kitchen: A nourish bowl is a composed salad that's a mix of healthy fats, veggies or fruit, carbs and protein. Experiment with different grains and layer in nuts and seeds.
Makes 4 to 6 servings.
Nutritional facts Per each of 6 servings: about
- Fibre 4 g
- Sodium 407 mg
- Sugars 7 g
- Protein 10 g
- Calories 385
- Total fat 22 g
- Potassium 309 mg
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Saturated fat 2 g
- Total carbohydrate 41 g
- Iron 13
- Folate 17
- Calcium 4
- Vitamin A 13
- Vitamin C 77