Try this creamy dish in place of mashed potatoes. The nutty herbed topping adds a nice crisp crust.
- Prep time 30 minutes
- Total time 1 hour & 45 minutes
- Portion size 10 servings
Creamy Root Vegetables:
- 4 cups cubed butternut squashes
- 2 onions chopped
- 1 large sweet potato peeled and cubed
- 680 g mini yellow-fleshed potatoes halved or quartered
- 4 cloves garlic sliced
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sodium-reduced chicken broth
- 1 cup whipping cream (35%)
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup walnut chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons butter melted
Creamy Root Vegetables: In 12-cup (3 L) casserole dish, combine squash, onions, sweet potato, yellow-fleshed potatoes and garlic. Set aside.
In saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Sprinkle with flour; cook, whisking constantly, for 1 minute. Whisk in broth and cream; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, whisking constantly, until thick enough to coat back of spoon, about 3 minutes.
Whisk in mustard, salt and pepper; pour over vegetables. Bake in 400°F (200°C) oven until tender, about 1 hour.
Topping: In bowl, mix together bread crumbs, walnuts, sage and parsley; stir in butter. (Make-ahead: Refrigerate in airtight container for up to 2 days.) Sprinkle over vegetables. Bake in 400°F (200°C) oven until crumble is golden, about 15 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Nutritional facts per serving: about
- Fibre 4 g
- Sodium 385 mg
- Sugars 6 g
- Protein 6 g
- Calories 345.0
- Total fat 21 g
- Potassium 663 mg
- Cholesterol 52 mg
- Saturated fat 11 g
- Total carbohydrate 36 g
- Iron 14.0
- Folate 25.0
- Calcium 9.0
- Vitamin A 143.0
- Vitamin C 35.0