Looking for a twist on chicken salad? This cold noodle version is made with an aromatic and slightly spicy dressing that adds Asian-inspired flavour.
- Portion size 4 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: September 2014
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 450 g total)
- 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper
- 225 g dried rice vermicelli (about 1/8-inch/3mm wide)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 8 green onions thinly sliced
- 4 teaspoons lime juice
- 4 teaspoons sodium-reduced soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons liquid honey
- 1/2 teaspoon Asian chili sauce (such as sriracha)
- 1 sweet red pepper thinly sliced
- 1 carrots julienned
- half cucumber chopped
MethodSprinkle chicken with a pinch each of the salt and pepper. Place on greased grill over medium-high heat; close lid and grill, turning once, until no longer pink inside, about 12 minutes. Cover loosely; let stand for 5 minutes before thinly slicing crosswise.
Meanwhile, in large bowl, add vermicelli and enough boiling water to cover. Let stand for 6 minutes; drain. Rinse with cold water; drain again.
Meanwhile, in small saucepan, heat oil over medium heat; cook ginger and garlic, stirring, until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Stir in green onions and remaining salt and pepper; cook until onions are softened, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in lime juice, soy sauce, honey and chili sauce.
In large bowl, toss ginger mixture with vermicelli, red pepper, carrot and cucumber. Top with chicken.
Nutritional facts Per serving: about
- Fibre 4 g
- Sodium 446 mg
- Sugars 7 g
- Protein 29 g
- Calories 478.0
- Total fat 13 g
- Cholesterol 66 mg
- Saturated fat 1 g
- Total carbohydrate 60 g
- Iron 12.0
- Folate 21.0
- Calcium 5.0
- Vitamin A 51.0
- Vitamin C 75.0