This aromatic Thai-inspired soup is the perfect comfort food to warm up a cold winter evening. Top with finely sliced red chilies for a little extra kick, if desired. You can also swap the rice with noodles, or serve it without a starch, as a brothy starter soup.
- Portion size 4 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: February 2013
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 1 cup white rice
- 1 pkg (900 ml) sodium-reduced chicken broth
- 1 stalk lemongrass halved crosswise then lengthwise
- 6 slices (1/2 inch/1 cm thick) fresh ginger
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cup thinly sliced button mushrooms
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon red curry paste
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
MethodCook rice according to package directions.
Meanwhile, in large pot, bring broth, lemongrass and ginger to boil over medium-high heat. Stir in chicken, mushrooms and peas; cook over medium-low heat until chicken is no longer pink, about 4 minutes.
In small bowl, whisk together fish sauce, brown sugar and red curry paste. Stir into pot along with coconut milk; simmer until hot and fragrant, about 3 minutes. Discard lemongrass and ginger.
Stir in cilantro and lime juice. Serve over rice.
Nutritional facts Per serving: about
- Fibre 3 g
- Sodium 1362 mg
- Sugars 8 g
- Protein 37 g
- Calories 551.0
- Total fat 23 g
- Potassium 753 mg
- Cholesterol 66 mg
- Saturated fat 19 g
- Total carbohydrate 50 g
- Iron 34.0
- Folate 21.0
- Calcium 6.0
- Vitamin A 8.0
- Vitamin C 12.0