1. Use the competing teams' colours in your décor – paper plates and napkins are not only okay but are required. Lose the finery and take advantage of the vibrant colours of the game to set the mood and add to the Super Bowl theme.
2. A friendly football pool is a great way to encourage even non-fans to get involved with the game. Keep it interesting by having guests wager on total points, passes, and even the coin toss.
3. Have face paint on hand in team colours. Kids will lead the cheering section and emblazon themselves with their team's colours. You may have some adult superfans as well!
4. This is one party where TV is important. Create a viewing zone and make sure that everyone has a good view. Keep the serious football fans happy and make sure they have the best seats in the house. Give the less than rabid fans a conversation area away from the viewing action and everyone will be happy to drop in and out of the action zones.
5. No Super Bowl party gathering would be complete without snacks. It’s a long game, so be prepared to offer up heartier fare especially if you are serving alcohol. When planning your menu think concession stand offerings with your quality home cooked twists. Don’t get fancy with your selections but make sure it is all yummy!
6. Or if you can't tear yourself away from the gang, go with a make-ahead feast. A zesty menu of pulled pork served on soft buns with a side of coleslaw and potato chips is the perfect food for casual entertaining. Our Test Kitchen Video will show you how easy it is.
See more Super Bowl Sunday party food ideas on page 2
To help make any Super Bowl party a raging success, The Canadian Living Test Kitchen has put together an awesome buffet of game time snacks, some classic, some new. So sit back and enjoy the game with these better-than-bar-food snacks, perfect for any sporting party, in your own home.
Finger Foods for Football Fanatics:
Quick snack ideas
Why watch the game eating just chips and dip when these snack ideas are easy to make and so much more tasty.
• Pesto Mushroom Caps: Brush mushroom caps with extra-virgin olive oil; fill with Cheddar cheese and a dab of pesto or tapenade. Bake in 350°F (180°C) oven until cheese is melted, 10 minutes.
• Tomato and Feta Bites: Skewer halved cherry tomatoes and cubes of feta, Gouda, Havarti or mozzarella cheese on large toothpicks.
• BLT Baguette: Toast slices of baguette (French stick); brush lightly with light mayonnaise. Top with lettuce, chopped tomatoes and sprinkle of bacon bits.
• Crackers and Cheese: Spread crackers with creamy goat cheese; top with chopped sun-dried tomatoes and minced fresh rosemary or parsley.
• Fruit Plates with Vanilla Yogurt: Arrange chunks of melons, apple and kiwifruit on plate around dip of vanilla yogurt.
• Vegetable Crudités: Arrange quartered mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, carrots and celery sticks on platter around a dip of hummus or tzatziki.Read more finger food ideas:
Best-ever party platters
Crunchy Parmesan Chicken Wings