Photography by Matthew Kimura
This recipe makes 12 servings
|Per serving: about||-|
|total fat||11 g|
|sat. fat||1 g|
- Portion size: 12
Not just for vegetarians, this easy-to-make Middle East specialty will become a favourite for entertaining.
- 1/2 cup 1/2cupdried chickpeadried chickpeas
- 1/2 cup 1/2cupfinely chopped oniononions
- 2 tbsp 2tbspchopped fresh parsley
- 1 1clove garliccloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp 2tbspall-purpose flour
- 2 tsp 2tspground cumin
- 1 tsp 1tspeach baking powder, salt and lemon juice
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 12 12mini pita breadpita breads
- 1 1large radishradishes, thinly sliced Tahini Yogurt Sauce:
- 1/3 cup 1/3cupBalkan-style plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup 1/4cuptahinitahini
- 2 tbsp 2tbsplemon juice
- 1 tbsp 1tbspeach minced fresh parsley and extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tspeach salt and cayenne pepper
In bowl, pour enough cold water over chickpeas to cover by 1 inch (2.5 cm); cover and soak for 4 hours. (Make-ahead: Soak for up to 24 hours.) Drain well.
In food processor, coarsely chop together chickpeas, onion, half of the parsley and the garlic, about 30 seconds.
Add flour, cumin, baking powder, salt and lemon juice; pulse just until blended, about 10 seconds. Shape by heaping 1 tbsp (15 mL) into balls; flatten to 1/2-inch (1 cm) thickness. Arrange in single layer on rimmed baking sheet; cover and refrigerate for 2 hours. (Make-ahead: Refrigerate for up to 12 hours.)
Pour enough oil into heavy skillet to come 1/4 inch (5 mm) up side of pan; heat over medium-high heat. Fry falafel, turning once, until golden, about 4 minutes. With slotted spoon, transfer to paper towels to drain. (Make-ahead: Let cool; cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours. To reheat, bake on greased rimmed baking sheet in 350°F/180°C oven for 10 minutes.)
Tahini Yogurt Sauce: Meanwhile, in bowl, whisk together yogurt, tahini, lemon juice, parsley, oil, salt and cayenne pepper. (Make-ahead: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.)
Cut one-third off edge of each pita; open to form pocket. Stuff each with falafel and radish slice. Drizzle with yogurt sauce; sprinkle with remaining parsley.
Source : Canadian Living Magazine: February 2006