Moroccan Vegetable Couscous
- Preparation time: 45 minutes
- Total time : 45 minutes
- Portion size: 6
This recipe makes 6 servings
|Per serving: about||-|
|total fat||6 g|
|sat. fat||1 g|
|dietary fibre||14 g|
This vegetable and chickpea couscous fills you up without filling you out. Chickpeas are high in fibre and iron, and the prunes add a hint of natural sweetness, which makes this all-in-one dish feel indulgent.
- 1 tbsp 1tbspolive oil
- 2 2cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp 2tspminced fresh ginger
- 1 1small onion, sliced
- 1 tsp 1tspground coriander
- 1 tsp 1tspground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tspcinnamon
- 2 tbsp 2tbsptomato paste
- 1 cup 1cupvegetable broth
- 2 2ribs celery, cut in 2-inch chunks
- 1 1large carrotcarrots, halved lengthwise and cut in 1-inch chunks
- 4 cups 4cupscauliflower floretcauliflower florets
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) 1can (19 oz/540 mL)chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup 1/2cuppitted prunes, halved
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tspsalt
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tsppepper
- 1-1/4 cups 1-1/4cupswhole wheat couscous
- 4 cups 4cupslightly packed fresh baby spinach
- 1 tbsp 1tbsplemon juice
- 3 tbsp 3tbspslivered almonds, toasted
In Dutch oven or large heavybottomed saucepan, heat oil over medium heat; cook garlic and ginger, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add onion, coriander, turmeric and cinnamon; cook, stirring often, until onion is softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in tomato paste; cook for 1 minute.
Add 1-1/4 cups water, broth, celery and carrot; bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until celery is softened, about 15 minutes.
Stir in cauliflower, chickpeas, prunes, salt and pepper; bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until cauliflower is tender, about 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, stir couscous with 1-1/3 cups boiling water. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes; fluff with fork.
Stir spinach and lemon juice into cauliflower mixture; cook just until spinach is wilted. Serve over couscous; sprinkle with almonds.
Additional information :
Change It Up
Moroccan Chicken and Vegetable Couscous
Cut 1 lb (450 g) boneless skinless chicken breasts into bite-size pieces. Brush nonstick skillet lightly with vegetable oil; cook chicken over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until no longer pink inside. Add to vegetable mixture along with cauliflower.
Source : Canadian Living Magazine: February 2013