In medieval times, Shrove Tuesday (Shrove derives from "shrive", meaning "to confess") was the last chance to indulge yourself and to use up the foods not allowed during Lent, the Christian preparation for Easter. Pancakes were eaten on this day because they contain fat, butter and eggs which were forbidden during Lent.
Whether you observe Lent or not, why not join in the fun of Pancake Tuesday? Pancakes are quick, easy and inexpensive to make for just one or a whole crowd. Here are 21 of The Canadian Living Test Kitchen's best sweet and savoury pancake recipes.
- Apple Oatmeal Pancakes
- Best-Ever Whole-Grain Pancakes - Multigrain flour, rolled oats and wheat germ give these quite chewy pancakes a wholesome flavour.
- Big Batch Buttermilk Pancakes - Here are "the best pancakes yet" from the Breakfast for Kids Program at Holy Trinity Church-St. David School. This recipe is the equivalent of 6 batches and makes 72 very moist pancakes.
- Buttermilk Pancakes
- Buttermilk Buckwheat Cranberry Pancakes - Fluffy golden pancakes with a wholesome nutty taste are a perfect winter breakfast.
- Chocolate Chip Pancakes
- Cinnamon Oat Pancake Mix - Rolled oats are a healthy addition to pancakes. Our mix makes enough for one batch of healthy pancakes, but you can double or triple it.
- Fruity Pancakes
- Lemon Poppy Seed Pancakes
- Nutty Banana Bran Pancakes
- Oatmeal Banana Bread Pancakes - You might want to make and freeze a double batch of these hearty pancakes to reheat in the toaster for a satisfying and easy midweek breakfast.
- Peachy Pancakes
- Ricotta Lemon Pancakes
- Smiling Apple Pancakes
- Weekend Breakfast Buttermilk Pancakes
- Whole Wheat Pancakes - A healthy alternative to the traditional pancake.
- Corn and Zucchini Pancakes - Introduce vegetables to the breakfast table with these hearty griddle cakes. Top with syrup or low-fat yogurt. You can even freeze them to pop in the toaster oven.
- Golden Squash Pancakes - Serve with chicken or pork or, for a vegetarian meal, with a crunchy sweet red and green pepper salad. The squash can be grated up to eight hours ahead, by hand or in the food processor, then refrigerated. Delicata and butternut work best.
- Guacamole Shrimp on Cornmeal Pancakes - Colourful bites of shrimp, guacamole and pancake are irresistible.
- Potato Pancakes With Smoked Salmon And Dill Creme Fraiche
- Zucchini Pancakes - (Image featured above) This is delicious as a light dinner or brunch topped with sour cream or Feta Tomato Cream.
Read more: Get ready for Easter crafts and recipes!
Page 1 of 1