Pear, Almond and Cherry Stuffing
This recipe makes 10 servings
|Per each of 10 servings: about||-|
|total fat||10 g|
|sat. fat||4 g|
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Total time : 1 hour
- Portion size: 8 to 10
The fruit and nuts can be easily replaced with the same quantity of apples, raisins, hazelnuts or any other favourites. We bake this on the side because we love the crispy top, but you can use it as a turkey stuffing to put into the bird just before roasting.
- 1/4 cup 1/4cupbutter
- 1 tbsp 1tbspfinely chopped fresh ginger
- 2 2oniononions, diced
- 2 2ribs celery, diced
- 2 2pearpears, chopped
- 1/2 cup 1/2cupdried cherries
- 8 8fresh sage leaffresh sage leaves, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tspsalt
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tsppepper
- 1/2 cup 1/2cupsliced almonds, toasted
- 1/2 cup 1/2cupchopped fresh parsley
- 1 1loaf day-old Italian bread or multigrain bread, cubed (about 12 cups/3 L)
- 3/4 cup 3/4cupsodium-reduced chicken broth or sodium-reduced vegetable broth
In large Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat; cook ginger, onions and celery, stirring occasionally, until softened, 8 to 10 minutes.
Add pears, cherries, sage, salt and pepper; cook until pears are softened, about 6 minutes. Stir in almonds and parsley. Scrape into large bowl.
Add bread cubes and broth to bowl; toss to moisten. Scrape into 13- x 9-inch (3 L) baking dish. (Make-ahead: Let cool; cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours.)
Cover with foil; bake in 400ºF (200ºC) oven for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake until golden, 10 to 15 minutes.
Source : Canadian Living Magazine: December 2011