Pickled Herring Salad
This recipe makes 6 servings
|Per each of 8 servings: about||-|
|total fat||13 g|
|sat. fat||4 g|
- Portion size: 6 to 8
Either toss this salad together as in the recipe or arrange the ingredients in individual piles on a platter and drizzle with dressing. Be sure to buy boneless pickled herring to save on time and cleanup.
- 2 2beetbeets, (about 12 oz/375 g)
- 3 3Yukon Gold potatoYukon Gold potatoes, (about 1-1/2 lb/750 g)
- 1 1crisp tart appletart apples, (such as Granny Smith)
- 1 tbsp 1tbsplemon juice
- 1 jar (320ml) 1jar (320ml)boneless pickled herring slices, drained and halved crosswise
- 1 1small oniononions, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp 2tbspchopped fresh dill
- 1 cup 1cupsour cream
- 1 tsp 1tspwhite vinegar
- 1/2 tsp 1/2tspdry mustard
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tspsalt
- 1/4 tsp 1/4tsppepper
In saucepan of boiling salted water, cover and cook beets until tender, about 35 minutes. Drain, reserving 2 tbsp (25 mL) beet liquid for dressing; let cool.
Meanwhile, in separate saucepan of boiling salted water, cover and cook potatoes until fork-tender, about 20 minutes. Drain and let cool.
Peel potatoes and beets; cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) cubes. Core apple; dice and toss with lemon juice.
In bowl, combine potatoes, beets, apple, herring and onion.
Dressing: In small bowl, whisk together sour cream, reserved beet liquid, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper until smooth. Pour over salad, tossing to combine. Sprinkle with dill.
Source : Canadian Living Magazine: April 2007